Sunday 24 April 2011

Spring is here!

After a few days of doing lots of weeding, planting, pruning, nurturing and cleaning in the garden I am currently sitting in at my garden table on the patio, cup of tea nearby and laptop on enjoying the results of all of my hard work. We have had a week of fantastic weather (23-26 degrees - in APRIL!!) and this has meant I have been able to get out and do things. Hard to imagine that it is still possible we may have frosts until early May but I MUST remember this and not plant things out too early. 

The good weather has meant that all plants have been able to go out during the day to enjoy the sun and warmth. After the scorching incident last week I have made sure that when in the blowaways the cover has either been off altogether or the door has been kept firmly open to ensure they do not get too hot and damaged. 

So first of all, a bit of emergency surgery was needed on my tomatoes, chilli and pepper plants. I picked off all of the worst affected leaves that would simply just continue to use energy from the plant for no reason, gave them a very good water and sprayed for a few days with epsom salts. The tomatoes seem to have recovered well but these were by far the biggest and strongest plants. However, my chillis and peppers have not faired quite so well and during my surgery I must admit I have got them all muddled up and I am no longer sure what I have left. I think I have 4 red pepper plants and 3 chilli plants. I guess the proof will be when the fruit appears. What I think are the red pepper plants look very healthy despite their trauma, whereas the chilli plants look like they could be destined for an early grave :-(

The basil, moneymaker tomato, lettuce (various), beetroot and marigold seeds sown in modules on 10.4.2011 have been thrown out as any that germinated were all burnt to a crisp in the same incident! Oops. 

So with the emergency surgery out of the way, weeding done, garden shed cleared out, patio scrubbed clean etc etc it was time for more sowing and caring for the plants I still have left. 

Tomatoes, Chillies and Peppers

All put out into the garden during the day in 23-26 degree temps and brought in at night until last night when I left them out at night too zipped up in the blowaway - no harm done, phew!

Toms, Chillies and Peppers in the blowaway without the cover
Close up of chillies(?)

Close up of red peppers (?)

Close up of tomatoes
Potatoes

All potatoes planted so far this season have now started sprouting with the first earlies actually having about 4 - 6 inches of growth. I earthed these up and gave them a good water with added feed as I am earthing them up with compost out of last years pots. 

I still had 6 seed potatoes of bambino main crop and now having an empty compost bag I decided to plant them in this!

A few vales emerald first earlies in a 12 inch pot as an experiment

The rest of the vales emerald first earlies in a potato growing sack

Charlotte potato first earlies in the council glass recycling bin

Bambino main crop potatoes in an ikea bag

The new potato corner
I created 'potato corner' in the garden, this part of the garden is out of the way down by the shed which is good as potato containers take up a lot of room and do not really give you anything attractive to look at. It gets a good amount of sun in the day though so they should grow well here. 

Garlic and Onions

These don't really need much care other than watering, however, I have noticed that cats have been digging up the soil so in need of some deterent I covered them up quickly with some of the pea netting I have left over, balances on some barbeque skewers (ha ha). It will do for now, I'll create something a bit sturdier when I can.

Oooohhh we just had a big clap of thunder then, and it seems to have gotten a lot darker - so much for my enjoying the garden after all my hard work. Inside I go!

My temporary cat deterent.
Rosemary and Thyme

Both are doing well and the Thyme is even flowering a little so they can't have been too disturbed being transplanted into their new home. I am desperate to use some as they smell so gorgeous but I think I'll hold off and give them another few weeks before I start to cut bits off.

Thyme
Close up of Thyme flowers


Rosemary
Radishes and Rocket

These are my attempt at getting a catch crop out of the top of my strawberry planters. All of the radishes have germinated and look to be growing quickly. The rocket has also germinated but these seem to be teeny tiny little seedlings so I am not sure how long these are really going to take to get to any sort of size where they can be eaten.


Radishes in a circle in the top of a strawberry planter
Close up of the radishes

Teeny tiny rocket poking up

Peas and Broad Beans

My peas and broad beans are both still growing well. The pea plants are now looking very strong and healthy at about 2 foot tall, I think they are supposed to grow to a maximum of 3 feet so hopefully it won't be too long until we start seeing some pea pods forming (I presume flowers come first??). 

My second sowing of peas in another planter have since sprouted and are about an inch tall. These are happily growing in the blowaway to keep the birds away with some egg shells surrounding them to deter any slugs/snails. I am also covering with a thin layer of fleece at night to keep any slugs/snails away during the nighttime.

2nd sowing of peas all sprouting nicely

1st sowing of peas looking strong and healthy
Broad Beans are still flowering nicely but no signs yet on the beginnings of any pods. These are also about 2 foot tall now. Looking nice and strong.

Broad Beans

Broad Beans still flowering nicely
I'll be giving both the peas and beans their weekly feed tomorrow as the energy in the compost will have been used up. 

Spring Onions
9 of the 10 seeds planted a few weeks ago have now germinated. These are in the blowaway with the 2nd sowing of peas to give them a little protection from attack of the slugs.

Tiny spring onions
Strawberries

Lots more flowers on my original strawberry plants in the trough. Looks like there may even be the beginnings of some tiny baby strawberries?


Baby strawberries?? With a tiny ant on an adventure
New Sowings

  • 10 x spring onions in a row in the same pot at the first sowing
  • 2 x morrisons flower buckets pots of Carotts (mini finger). Approx 13 in each pot to hoepfully give me some mini carrotts. 
  • Second layer of wildflowers in the smaller pot I have to go alongside the first sowing in that pot a few weeks ago. Apparently doing a second sowing in the same pot a few weeks later ensures a longer flowering period. 
  • 2 x courgettes in 3 inch pots - outdoors during the day whilst the temps are hot, indoors to germinate at night and will plant out when risk of frost has passed
  • 8 x french beans (cobra) in 3 inch pots - outdoors during the day whilst the temps are hot, indoors to germinate at night and will plant out when risk of frost has passed
  • 10 x beetroot (boltardy) in modules, will keep indoors until they have germinated and will then put in the blowaway
  • 5 x lollo rossa (same treatment as beetroot)
  • 5 x round lettuce (same treatment as beetroot)
  • 5 x chartwell lettuce (same treatment as beetroot)
  • 5 a Tomatoes (moneymaker) - keep indoors
  • 5 x basil - keep indoors 
  • 3 x annaheim chilli - keep indoors
  • 20 x marigold seeds - keep indoors
  • 10 x radishes (same treatment as beetroot)
  • 10 x rocket (same treatment as beetroot)
All my new sowings
Hanging basket sprouting

Front of the house
My helper
Patio area all scrubbed clean with a bean planter waiting for its beans!
Wildflowers looking good
That's all for now. Hopefully the weather be will be nice enough for me to enjoy sitting in the garden for the next few days and enjoy all my hard work.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment